Tonight’s menu: sesame chicken with roasted broccoli and brown rice. Dinner is served! Recipe below.
Lighter Sesame Chicken
Modified from Iowa Girl Eats
· 1/2 cup brown rice
· 2 cups broccoli florets
· 1 egg white
· 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
· 2 small chicken breasts (12oz), cut into 2″ pieces
· salt & pepper
· 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
· 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
· 2-1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
· 1/4 cup honey
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 2 green onions, chopped
· Roast or steam broccoli until crisp tender, then set aside (directions for roasting from Can You Stay for Dinner?).
· Prepare rice according to package directions.
· In a large bowl, whisk together egg white and cornstarch until smooth.
· Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper then add to egg white mixture and toss to evenly coat.
· Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then carefully add chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked through.
· Meanwhile, combine sesame seeds, soy sauce, honey, and garlic together in a small bowl then set aside.
· Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner. Add prepared sauce and green onions then toss to combine. Stir in broccoli, then scoop mixture into bowls over cooked rice.