Often times, I am asked how I do it all.
I work 40+ hours outside of the house, I am a first time mom and also a mom to twin 1.5 year olds, I am a wife, I own a home, and I have a new hobby turned serious passion.
Yes, that is my sink in that photo!!!
I DON’T do everything.
Heck, I barely get THREE things checked off my list when I get home from work.
Between the different “hats” I have to wear and the various chores I must juggle, it is quite impossible to get anything more done than just the VERY important stuff.
I don’t have a surefire guide on how to be productive when you are busy with what feels like a million other things in your life.
But I CAN share a few tips that have made my life easier, or at least made me happier!
- Change your mindset: You CANNOT do it all. You simply can’t. The sooner you can accept that, the sooner you’ll be happier. You know what you can do? You can be GREAT at the things you decide to do. So long as you don’t worry about the things you could have done.
- Set lower expectations: I know, this is contrary to striving to do your best and working hard, and yada yada. But seriously? When you’re a parent, or a home-owner, or a full-time worker… time just FLIES on by. If you want to be happier, don’t write down a list of 10 things you want to do in a day (I still do this sometimes, then I am sad at the end of the day). Instead, write down or tell yourself THREE things that are important to you to get done or at least make some kind of progress on.
- Be efficient: When I am at home and leave a room, I ALWAYS take a quick look around to see what I can grab to put back in its place in the room I’m headed to. For example, if I’m leaving the kitchen to go to my bedroom, I’ll grab the sweater I threw on a chair and the bracelet I placed on the table and put them away when I get to my room.
- Follow the 5 minute rule: If it can be done in 5 minutes or LESS, do it NOW! Don’t write it down for later, or tell yourself you’ll get to it later. DO IT NOW! It’s so much easier to wash a dish and two utensils than LOADS of dishes at the end of the day.
- Also, follow the 15 minute rule: Work in 15-minute increments. See this blog post? Well, duh, you do. Because you’re still reading. I looked at the time and said I’d only write for 15 minutes. No more, no less. Then I’m going to MOVE ON. Yes, I could spend an entire HOUR writing and editing. But instead, I’m choosing to write a GREAT post, not a perfect one, and then I’ll get to do something else right after. If 15 minutes is too short, try half an hour or 45 min. The point is, don’t do a task too long without a break because I find that it just warps my brain or I’ll take too long finishing the task.
- Cut yourself some slack: We are always our biggest critics. Give yourself a break and know that you are trying your best and your best really is enough. Step back from the situation, breathe, rejuvenate, refocus. There will ALWAYS be something in your inbox, so don’t forget what is most important in life (family, friends, health, hobbies).
Well there you go! A 15 minute blog post because it has been a LONG TIME since I’ve blogged and I just NEEDED to get something on the page!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Wondering where I’ve been lately? I’ve been creating!!! Check out my latest obsession with calligraphy, lettering, and all things arts and crafts on my new Instagram account: @piecescalligraphy! I’d love for you to take a peek and follow my journey!
Did I mention I’m giving away a $10 Starbucks card? For free!!! All you have to do is follow my Pieces Calligraphy account on Instagram and tag two friends in a comment! I pick a winner next week on Wednesday, March 4th. 🙂
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Now you tell me!
What’s one tip you find helpful for being productive at home or work? How do you manage your time?